08 January, 2009

Political Fatigue

Oh, Rushmore, I'm so tired. Absolutely exhausted, in fact. 24-hour cable news and talk radio have marginalized our intellect to the extent of sapping every ounce of original thought.

Everyone's an expert these days. Simply tune into your favorite left or right hacking mouthpiece, nod along in agreement and prepare to "debate" family and friends. Our mouths are moving, but the marionette in control is media conjecture, assumptions and a sickening array of hyperbole.

Civility be damned, I guess. We're all shaped by our cultural surroundings. I can spot a Hardball, Countdown, Dittohead or Factor disciple a mile away.

The absolute worse offenders are blog regurgitates, those that believe anything they read on the internet as fact, provided it tucks into their own stubborn ideology, and pass it on as wisdom through an email attachment.

It's time for the customers (all of us, myself included) of media to take accountability for how damn seriously we take political opinion from others that have no credentials beyond our own, other than the pancake of makeup they wear for the camera or their dramatically sarcastic inflections.

There is plenty else to watch on cable. I'll take an old Meredith Baxter Bernie movie on Lifetime over the garbage that Fox and MSNBC are pimpin' every night. Join me, will you?

I'll make the popcorn.

No comments: