22 December, 2008

Still Life Life With Recession

I was at the Biltmore earlier today to finish up my Christmas shopping, a few final tidings of yuletide detail that would finally put a lid on the magical season of spending.

While at Banana Republic, I noticed an absolute mac-daddy pair of black penny loafers that were originally priced at $139.95, on sale for $39.95. Seeing as these were a bit more of a want than a need - after all, I had shoes on my feet at the time - I decided to, for the first time in my life, barter for an item at a retail store.

With very little effort, I negotiated a purchase price of $20.00 for the shoes.

Then paralysis by analysis kicked in and I thought of the Christmas budget, sacrificing impulse buys and curbing discretionary spending.

I set the shoes on the counter and left the store.

While walking away, it occurred to me that this experience is only one small metaphor in the state of our economy.

The shoes? No regrets.

I think they were made in China.

No comments: