24 June, 2008

Handicapping The Electoral College

Okay, I've received a couple emails and text messages giving me grief for not posting yesterday (Monday). Look folks, I've got a job that reports to the man and a life that reports to President (Madam) Fischer. She'll beat my hide six ways to sundown if I idle away on this computer when there are diapers to be changed. So I missed a Monday jotting. Consider me like the theater. I'm dark on Monday.

Moving on.

The Presidential general election is heating up in the United States (note I mention USA, as to give the worldly impression that I have a global subscription base) and we continue to be bombarded with distorted truthiness and outright bullspit from many polarizing angles.

Cable news and hate-radio have sucked the fun out of politics, so I thought I'd share this obnoxiously long link with you.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/election2008/electoral-vote-tracker/flash.htm?friendA=AL,2,9-AK,2,3-AZ,2,10-AR,1,6-CA,1,55-CO,1,9-CT,1,7-DC,1,3-DE,1,3-FL,2,27-GA,2,15-HI,1,4-ID,2,4-IL,1,21-IN,2,11-IA,1,7-KS,2,6-KY,2,8-LA,1,9-ME,1,4-MD,1,10-MA,1,12-MI,1,17-MN,1,10-MS,2,6-MO,1,11-MT,2,3-NE,2,5-NV,1,5-NH,1,4-NJ,1,15-NM,1,5-NY,1,31-NC,2,15-ND,2,3-OH,1,20-OK,2,7-OR,1,7-PA,1,21-RI,1,4-SC,2,8-SD,2,3-TN,2,11-TX,2,34-UT,2,5-VT,1,3-VA,2,13-WA,1,11-WV,2,5-WI,1,10-WY,2,3-

It's an interactive website where you can call the electoral college as a speculator or high stakes gambler.

Note: I've placed current odds at 1/1-gazillion that the District of Columbia will vote Democrat.

It's a pretty straight forward exercise. Simply click each state and make your call. You can save your preferences and share with others.

Note: Current odds are 1/1-gaskillion that Mississippi and Alabama go with the white guy.

I've been playing with this sight for a couple months now and it's not as easy as you might think. Most "polls" reported through the media are broad stroke in nature and aren't isolated on individual states, which renders them pretty meaningless. After all, state electorates choose our President, by constitutional declaration. Somebody please inform James Dobson of that fact.

Note: Odds are 1/1-bajillion that the student faculty lounge will carry Obama.

Turn off the commentary, watch both conventions this summer and listen to the debates. The puppets on cable news and yakkers on the radio are one dimensional in telling us what we think.

Let's take our minds back.

Enjoy.

1 comment:

in8spine said...

Dobson, Dobson, Dobson. Growing up Catholic at home and born again "Christian" at school, I had at least an hour of Bible every day, save Saturday, until I was a Junior in HS. I was forced to read Dobson's "Preparing for Adolescence" in 8th grade...as my sexual education class. He is about as relevant as beta max and if he's going to heaven, I'd rather take my chances else ware. His rep's claim that Dobson's interpretation of the Bible is "Evangelical" made me throw up in the back of mouth a little bit. It only goes to prove that religion is just another way men get to play God by invoking his name in a way that fits their balloon knot view of the world. Remember, God did not write the Bible. A group of men who felt inspired by God (because they said so) wrote some Jewish fairy tails down on parchment. These were then copied an innumerable amount of times by more men. I don't know if you ever played telephone, but this system has too many flaws to base salvation on. Lastly, more men took all of these second hand musings and through bureaucracy decided which ones made the cut. The remainder became the Gnostic texts. So remember. Faith in the Bible is faith in men who wrote stuff down, more men who copied it, more men who collected it, and finally one more man that tells you what it all means on Sunday...or on Focus on the Family. The irony of those that claim homo's are sinning is that they have to quote their false idol to believe it. George Carlin will be missed.