24 August, 2008

Hesperide Of My Youth, Lake Harriet


I'm home after a quick twenty-four hour trip to Minneapolis, where I delivered Fischer Junior to his mom after spending the past few weeks together in Phoenix.

Before heading to the airport on Saturday for my return flight home, I managed to walk the three miles around Lake Harriet in Southwest Minneapolis, a geographic touchstone for me that is located adjacent to the neighborhood I was raised. As the picture indicates, it was a perfect day for a walk.

Lake Harriet brings Longfellow to mind, and his riveting poem of introspection, My Lost Youth;

There are things of which I may not speak;
There are dreams that cannot die;
There are thoughts that make the strong heart weak,
And bring a pallor into the cheek,
And a mist before the eye.
And the words of that fatal song
Come over me like a chill:
"A boy's will is the wind's will,
And the thoughts of youth are long, long thoughts."

No comments: