30 September, 2008

The White Noise Of 24-Hour Cable News

I've gotta get outta here.

The 24-hour cable news cycle has numbed my brain and infused me with orange alert levels of both cynicism and skepticism. All in high definition, no less.

I grew up on the dependable half hour of national news from the three networks. Occasionally, when urgent news occurred, the network anchors would prevail with news bulletins that would, quite literally, make us stop in our tracks to share the urgency of program interruption.

These days though, cable news stretches the same amount of news into an endless cycle of watered down news bulletins and uninspiring opinion.

Yes, the same amount of news. After all, there isn't more news now than there was then.

Rhetorical question for other old-timers out there; do we really take a News Bulletin seriously any more?

The ultimate loser in cable news is all of us, the viewers. We've been so damn spoiled by finger-pointing, blame game opinion that we now neglect to engage in the challenge of individual thought. Ironically, when we do we're accused of being out of touch intellectual elitists.

I've gotta get outta here, all right.

Time to turn on cable news, so they can tell me what I think.

1 comment:

L said...

I suppose it's kind of pathetic then that I have a CNN widget on my macbook. Meaning I can watch CNN live anywhere I can get a wireless signal. At least I'm not addicted to Fox News....