31 July, 2008

Cruel Injustice Of Fantasy Baseball

The Major League Baseball trading deadline concluded with a frenzied array of activity, unprecedented in terms of the talent level swapped between teams.

Three future Hall of Famers were dealt during the twenty-four hour run up to today's 3:00PM EDT trading deadline. Manny Ramirez, Ken Griffey, Jr. and Ivan Rodriquez got the call to pack their bags and mozy on.

ESPN and sports radio was alive with chatter about these developments, with baseball soothsayers prognosticating which teams came out on top in various trade dealings.

One important development was not reported though. Manny Ramirez was traded to the National League and therefore is not eligible to play any more this season for Kinsler's List.

Kinsler's List is the name of my fantasy baseball team and Manny was my number one draft pick this season. It's an American League only league, so when players are shipped off to toil their wares in the Senior Circuit, we're held to the mercy of the player that our chosen player was traded for.

The deal that sent Manny to the Dodgers is a bit complicated to explain because it involves a few teams. My bottom line is that I end up with Pirates (now Red Sox) outfielder Jason Bay.

Not many people outside of Pittsburgh and the Bay family know much about Jason Bay, so consequently I'm feeling a little hosed.

If Bay lights it up for the remainder of this season and gets me into contention for the league title, I may have to change the name of my team.

I already have Scott Rolen as my third baseman.

How about Bay City Rolen's?

No comments: